Item No. 117
Tall Tote Filler
In this application, along with the tall tote, the customer had a variety of drums, bins, and smaller totes to fill with foaming liquids. This particular application of a modified, model DF-5540 filler was designed to fill, five 30 gallon drums on a pallet, four 55 gallon drums on a pallet, and large metal framed totes up to 84″ tall. All the necessary controls to operate the filler and scale conveyor are on the handle in front of the operator. The other powered conveyors run automatically by photo eye recognition of pallets and totes. The filler also used a special length Kynar lance, because of corrosive products.
This is both a sub-surface as well as a top-fill machine that fills all its containers from the bottom-up to control foaming. The custom components of this machine include; (1) a special length lance to reach the bottom of an 84″ tote, (2) a Kynar lance for corrosive liquids, (3) a retractable bellows to draw toxic fumes, (4) a 10,000 lb capacity scale, (5) a larger and taller stanchion, (6) special roller bearings in the conveyors, (7) closer roller centers, and (8) two hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower the boom and lance carriage for adjusting to various height containers.
A concept drawing of a sample DF-5540 straight-line filling system is shown below.
The fillers and conveyors are all manufactured with structural steel stanchions, frames and supports welded together, making each section a one-piece superstructure, the most rugged standard in the industry.
Description of Operation
- Each pallet or tote advances to an automatic, air operated stop that holds back each load until called.
- The filler will signal the stop to retract and the load to advance onto the fill station conveyor.
- Upon arrival, a photo eye recognizes the load and signals the scale conveyor to stop.
- The operator presses a button to release the boom that aligns the lance over any container of choice.
- The operator then presses the start button, also on the operator handle, to start the fill cycle.
- The lance travels to within a half inch of the bottom of every container
- The controller will automatically zero the tare weight before filling.
- One infeed valve opens wide, the second valve is partially closed until liquid reaches the lance tip.
- Both valves then simultaneously open wide for the fast fill mode.
- The lance rises while tracking the product level until the predetermined weight is achieved.
- The slow fill valve is then activated to top off the container to minimize foaming.
- The lance rises to its home position where a pneumatic drip pan catches any remnant liquid.
- The net weight in the container is then calculated and recorded.
- The operator presses a button to signal the conveyor to start, allowing the full load to drive out.
- This is a modified DF-5540 sub-surface and top-fill machine.
- Lance and all other wetted parts are 316 stainless steel
- A change-over Kynar lance is used for corrosive products
- Pneumatically operated drip pan with UHMW wiper ring
- An air operated retractable bellows to draw toxic fumes
- Air cylinder raises and lowers the fill lance
- Three speed filling cycle; slow/fast/shot, if needed
- Two, full-port ball valves to prevent product hammering
- Platform scale is 10,000 lb capacity, (5,000 lb is standard)
- Scale accuracy of +/- 1 lb based on a 3 sigma curve
- Controller is, Allen Bradley PLC with 250 product menu
- Operator touch screen, Allen Bradley color PanelView
- NEMA 4 standard panel, others optional
- NTEP approved scale and weight meter
- Pivoting boom & lance carriage positions lance to container
- Twin hydraulic cylinders raise & lower the pivoting boom
- Automatic tare to zero weight of each container
- Automatic abort if obstruction occurs
- Manual controls for all operations
- RS-232 port for optional date acquisition to printer
- Rugged, all-welded structural steel stanchion
- Additional conveyors
- Lance rack and drain station
- Pivoting flush adapter
- Spare fill lance assembly
- Sampling valve
- Type X or Z purge
- NEMA 7 enclosures
- Nitrogen purging system
- Container grounding
Additional Equipment Available
- Automatic drum & pail fillers
- Quad filling machines
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Stainless fume booths
- Pallet conveyors & transfers
- T-cars & turntables
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Drum & pail palletizers
- Custom handling equipment