Item No. 66
Stainless, Fume Booth Drum Filler
Here is a custom-made, all-316 stainless steel filler, built within a two station fume booth. This system was designed for a major chemical manufacturer to fill hot, viscous, and toxic liquids into 55 gallon drums. The need was for a safer filling system, because the liquid was too dangerous for the operator to fill with a conventional drum filler, even with a mask and thermal gloves. In addition to being somewhat toxic, the liquid was also 300 degrees F. This special fume booth and drum filler was created by Specialty Equipment in collaboration with the customer.
The unique system has two work stations. The first station is for drum filling and fume collection. The second station is a cooling booth for the hot drum to dwell for a predetermined time before the bung can be placed on it. An air operated sliding door is positioned between the two stations to keep the heat and the fumes separated. Pneumatic sliding doors with interlocks are also provided on the entry and exit doors.
The drum filler has a heat jacketed lance to keep the liquid hot and flowing. The temperature is controlled by a thermostat that can be changed by the filler operator. Inside the filling station is a special funnel that is lowered over the drum to collect the fumes. A powered conveyor is located at each work station, plus thermal gloves for the operator, and clear plastic windows on the top, sides, back and front.
Description of Operation
- This is a custom made, sanitary filler & fume booth made from all 316 stainless steel
- It is both a semi-automatic and top-fill lance, drum filling application.
- An empty drum conveys into the open door of the booth
- The door automatically closes after the drum enters
- The operator aligns the drum’s bung opening under the filling lance
- The start button begins the tare and fill cycle
- The heat jacketed lance entering the drum signals the valves to open
- A hood is lowered over the drum to suck out the fumes during the fill cycle
- When finished, the hood and lance automatically retract
- By operator push button, the conveyor starts and the second door slides open.
- The drum conveys into the next unit, the cooling station
- The door automatically slides shut when the drum arrives
- The cooled drum may be discharged by the operator.
- Otherwise the cooled drum will discharge when the next drum wants in.
- A custom made, all stainless steel filling and cooling system
- The system is built on a single welded stainless frame
- Lance and ball valves are Hastelloy for heat and corrosion
- Scale is 316 stainless at 1,000 lb capacity
- The manifold and lance are thermal-wrapped & heat jacketed
- Controller is Allen Bradley PLC, rated Class 1, Division 1
- Touch screen is, Allen Bradley color PanelView
- All conveyors are 316 stainless, chain driven live roller type
- Air operated raise & lower drum hood with exhaust port
- Entry, internal and exit doors are all slid-back, air-operated
- A manual, pull out overflow pan is built under the filler station
- Frame has adjustable louver plates for inlet ventilation
- A see through operator splash guard is provided
- High temp thermal gloves are mounted for the operator
- Several options for exhaust connections are included
- Entire custom-made machine is built on one chassis
Additional Equipment Available
- Palletized drum & tote fillers
- Single drum filling system
- Semi-automatic pail fillers
- Automatic pail fillers
- Quad drum fillers
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Stainless drum tippers & dumpers
- Pallet conveyors & transfers
- Roller, chain & belt conveyors
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Slip sheet dispensers
- Chain conveyors & transfers
- Turntables & Transfer cars
- Automatic drum & pail palletizers
- Custom made handling equipment