Item No. 1291
Portable Drum & Tote Filler
Not everybody needs one, but if you do, here is a one-of-a-kind, “portable” drum and tote filling machine. It starts as the popular model DF-5540 palletized drum and tote filler and gets modified, mounted on a special base that is fork-truck-able from one filling location to another. We labeled it model PDF-5540. Our customers usually buy it for batch filling operations that would not justify the cost of multiple fillers throughout the plant. Containers must be unloaded by fork truck, or any other appropriate drum and tote, lift and carry device.
The model PDF-5540 filler is both a top and sub-surface filling operation. To accommodate the various container sizes, an inner mast within the filler stanchion rises up and down to adjust the boom and filling lance to the height of the containers to be filled, which range from 5 gallon to as large as 550 gallon, or 20″ to 80″ tall, up to 10,000 lbs in this case. All the necessary controls to operate the filler are on the handle in front of the operator. A typical fill rate is 45 seconds to fill a 55 gallon drum with water, at 80 gallons per minute product flow.
The video below shows the operation of a fixed, model DF-5540, palletized drum and tote filler.
The special base is made from welded, structural steel, with cut-outs on the front and sides for fork truck tangs. The unique base also includes six leveling pads, each with a screw crank, and two pivoting outriggers to stabilize the machine at each filling station. A 120VAC cord and wall plug is also included. Once in place, this machine can be hooked-up and ready to fill containers in a matter of minutes.
Fillers and conveyors are manufactured with structural steel stanchions, frames and supports welded together, making each section a one-piece superstructure, the most rugged standard in the industry.
Description of Operation
- This is a model PDF-5540 portable drum and tote filler for top and sub-surface filling
- Once the machine is set down, it requires hook-up of the product infeed line, an air line, and a power source to plug into.
- Once set in place on the floor, the set-up time is estimated at 10 to 12 minutes
- The operator presses a button on the handle to release the boom to guide the lance to the bung opening of any drum he chooses
- The operator releases the button and the boom is automatically locked in place.
- When the operator presses the start button on the handle the lance travels into the drum.
- The machine will automatically zero the tare weight then start the fill cycle.
- When liquid nears the top, the cycle shifts to slow fill to top off the container and minimize foaming.
- The lance retracts automatically when the predetermined weight is achieved
- The operator presses the button on the handle again to release the boom and guide the lance to the next drum.
- The fill rate is 45 seconds to fill a 55 gallon drum with water, at 80 gallons per minute product flow
- This PDF-5540 is both a top-fill and sub-surface filling machine
- Lance and all other wetted parts are 316 stainless
- Two infeed full-port ball valves control product hammering
- NTEP approved scale and weight meter
- Controller is an Allen Bradley PLC with 250 product menu
- Touch screen is an Allen Bradley color, PanelView
- Machine is rated for flammables at class 1, division 1
- RS-232 port for optional data acquisition & printer connection
- Air cylinder raises and lowers the lance carriage
- Three speed filling cycle, slow/fast/shot, if needed
- Operator troubleshooting interface with prompts
- Air operated drip pan and UHMW wiper ring
- Automatic zero tare weight before filling
- Automatic abort if lance is not aligned with bung opening
- Operator troubleshoot interface with prompts
- Heavy duty brakes for boom position locking
- Optional 10,000 lb cap. platform scale, (5,000 is std)
- Optional NEMA 4X control panel (NEMA 4 is std)
- Optional type X purge system with control panel
- Optional, manual grounding clamps are included
- Rugged structural steel stanchion and lance carriage
- Special, structural steel portable base with fork truck cut-outs
- Six leveling pads, each with a screw crank
- Two flip-up outrigger stabilizers are included
- Bubble indicators are mounted for easy leveling
- Dimensions are approximately; 9′ wide x 8″ long x 11′ high
- Weight is 3,300 lbs and the center of gravity is offset
- Fills a 55 gallon drum with water in 45 seconds at 80 gallons per minute product flow
- Scale surface conveyor
- Spare lance
- Air operated fume skirt
- Lance rack
- Bung & capping station
- Kynar lance for corrosives
- Sampling valve
- Type X or Z purge
- NEMA 7 enclosures
- Lance flush adapter
- Filling data printout
- Nitrogen purging
Additional Equipment Available
- Mobile pail fillers
- Automatic drum filler
- Tall tote fillers
- Drum & pail filling systems
- Bag-in-box filler
- Stainless steel fillers
- Fume booth fillers
- Dual lance filler
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Pallet conveyors & transfers
- Roller, chain & belt conveyors
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Drum & pail palletizers
- Slip sheet dispensers
- Custom handling equipment