Item No. 102
Drum & Tote Filling System – Straight Line
If you are looking for the most versatile and widely accepted drum filler by the majority of chemical, cleaning,and coatings manufacturers and packers, it is a palletized drum and tote filler. In fact, it represents about two thirds of all drum and tote fillers installed in North America. Our model DF-5540, shown above, is the most popular filler among our customers. It is both a top and sub-surface filler, which allows a group of drums, or a pallet of drums, or a single tote, to be filled. In order to accommodate the various container sizes, our machine has an inner mast within the filler stanchion that rises up and down to adjust the boom and filling lance to the height of any size containers to be filled, which range from 5 gallon to as large as 550 gallon, or 20″ to 80″ tall. All the necessary controls to operate the filler and scale conveyor are on the handle in front of the operator. The other conveyors operate automatically by photo-eye recognition of loads.
The video below shows this popular filler in use.
The most common drum and tote filling application is the straight-line configuration, which includes; accumulation for pallets before the filler, one pallet on the filler scale, (or group of drums without a pallet) and another load after the scale for the bung and capping operations. Accumulation conveyor for more pallets is built on the end for full loads awaiting fork truck pick up. Of course, the amount of conveyor applied is the customer’s choice, and additional conveyors can be added at any time.
A sample straight-line concept drawing is shown below.
Specialty Equipment manufactures fillers and conveyors with large structural steel stanchions, frames and supports welded together, making each section a one-piece superstructure, the most rugged standard in the industry.
Description of Operation
- This is a model DF-5540, a top fill and a sub-surface filling machine
- This machine can fill containers from 5 to 550 gallons, or 20″ to 80″ tall
- When a full load is discharged, a new load of empty containers conveys to the fill station and stops automatically
- By pressing a button on the handle, the boom will be released for the operator to guide the lance to the bung opening of any drum
- When the operator releases the button, the boom is automatically locked in place.
- By pressing the start button the lance travels to the bottom of the drum, if using sub-surface mode
- The machine will automatically zero the tare weight before the fill cycle begins
- When the liquid reaches the tip of the lance, the machine automatically shifts into fast fill cycle
- Near the top, the machine cycles to slow speed to top off the container and minimize foaming
- When filled to the designated weight, the lance automatically retracts to its home position
- The operator presses the button again to release the boom and guide the lance to the next drum
- When all four drums are filled, the operator presses the button to drive out the full load and drive in a new load.
- This is a model DF-5540, a sub-surface and a top-fill machine
- Lance and all other wetted parts are 316 stainless steel
- Two infeed full-port ball valves prevent product hammering
- Scale is a 5,000 lb capacity platform type
- Controller is an Allen Bradley PLC with a 250 product menu
- Touch screen is an Allen Bradley color PanelView
- Filler has a three speed filling cycle; slow/fast/shot, if needed
- Air operated drip pan with a UHMW wiper ring
- Fume hood under the lance housing for vapor collection
- Air cylinder to raise and lower the fill lance
- Heavy duty brakes for boom position locking
- NTEP approved scale and weight meter
- NEMA 4 standard enclosure, others optional
- RS-232 port for optional data acquisition and printer connection
- Filler will automatically zero the tare weight before the fill cycle
- Operator troubleshooting interface with prompts
- Automatic abort if lance is not aligned with bung opening
- Rugged, all-welded structural steel, painted stanchion
- This machine will fill a 55 gallon drum with water in 45 seconds at 80 gallons per minute product flow
- Additional conveyors
- Lance rack and drain station
- Pivoting flush adapter
- Spare lance assembly
- Kynar lance for corrosives
- Sanitary lance for food grade
- Sampling valve
- Filling data printout
- Nitrogen purging system
Additional Equipment Available
- Drum & pail fillers
- Quad fillers
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Stainless fume booths
- Pallet conveyors & transfers
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Drum & pail palletizers
- Custom handling equipment