Item No. 410
Empty Drum Rotator
An empty drum rotator might be used in a labeling operation, an inspection station, or in this case, to orient the bung opening to the six o’clock position before sending it to an automatic drum filler. This type of rotator is used with an automatic drum filler, model ADO-5510. It can be built to handle a variety of 30 to 80 gallon poly, fiber and steel drums every 30 seconds.
The drum is raised off the conveyor before the rotation process. A tire then moves into position with guide wheels on the opposite side to capture the drum. As the drum turns, an eye recognizes the surface until it sees the bung opening then stops. A tapered plug lowers to lock the drum in place. The drum is then lowered, the wheels are retracted, and the conveyor drives the drum to the fill station.
Although this device is standard, Specialty Equipment is well known for building rugged, custom made fillers, conveyors, and other handling equipment for customers in the agriculture, chemical, cleaning, coating, flavors, food, lube, and sealant industries worldwide.
Description of Operation
- A drum is pushed into the rotator cell by an air operated blade
- The drum is raised and the signal is given to rotate
- A pneumatic tire moves into position on one side of the drum
- Simultaneously a cradle of guide wheels on the opposite side moves in to capture it.
- As the drum turns, an electronic eye recognizes the surface until the bung opening arrives.
- When it sees the opening, the eye signals the rotator to stop.
- A tapered plug is lowered by an air cylinder above to lock the bung opening in place.
- The drum is then lowered, the wheels are retracted and the drum moves to the fill station.
- The bung opening is locked at the six o’clock position to compliment the filler.
- Rotator is built for 30 to 80 gallon steel, fiber, or poly drums.
- The air operated pusher uses a rod-less air cylinder
- Twin strand chain conveyor transport drums to the filler
- Air bag assembly raises and lowers drum before rotation
- Pneumatic tire propelled by a gear motor rotates the drum
- Four wheel cradle captures the opposite side of the drum
- Air cylinder pulls the tire & cradle assemblies into position
- Air operated tapered plug raises & lowers into the bung.
- The rotation cycle takes 30 seconds for a 55 gallon drum
Additional Equipment Available
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Roller & belt conveyors
- Chain conveyors & transfers
- Turntables & transfer cars
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Palletized drum fillers
- Single drum & pail fillers
- Stainless steel fillers
- Custom handling equipment