Item No. 403
Empty Drum Accumulation Conveyors
This customer’s application was to provide a sufficient amount of accumulation conveyor to accept a full truck load of empty drums from a delivery truck. All the drums are accumulated to feed a drum filling operation. The catwalks allow operators to walk up and down the lanes to remove bungs from the incoming drums. Walkover tread plates are also provided between powered rollers.
The infeed conveyor has a group of drum diverters and powered stripper rollers to transfer drums at 90° onto gravity accumulation lanes. In this application, the first batch of empty drums will convey to the fixed diverter at the end of the powered conveyor. When the lane is filled, a blocked photo eye signals the diverter to lower, sending the next batch of drums to the second lane. The same operation continues until all the gravity lanes are filled with drums to feed the filler.
All the conveyors, platforms, walkways, railings, and catwalks were manufactured by Specialty Equipment. All the conveyors were built with structural steel frames and supports welded together, making each unit a one-piece superstructure, the most rugged standard in the industry.
Description of Operation
- Empty drums enter from the top left on powered roller conveyor
- Air operated drum diverters and powered stripper rollers will transfer drums at 90° onto an accumulation lane.
- The first lane of empty drums will convey to the fixed drum diverter at the end of the powered conveyor.
- A powered stripper roller is used to transfer each drum over the 90 degree thresh hold
- When the lane is filled, a blocked photo eye will signal the air operated diverter to lower on the second lane
- The next batch of drums will transfer and accumulate until blocking a photo eye for more than ten seconds
- The next diverter is lowered to send the a new batch of drums onto lane three
- The operation continues until all conveyors are filled with empty drums.
- When the filler calls for drums, a drum escapement will release one at a time onto powered roller conveyor
- Drums will transfer again onto another powered conveyor on route to the filler.
- Infeed & discharge lines are chain driven live roller conveyors
- Accumulation lanes are all gravity roller conveyors
- All rollers are 1.9″ diameter with 7/16″ hex axles
- All structural steel channel frames & supports are welded
- One drum diverter is fixed, all others are air cylinder operated
- Each lane has a powered roll for drums to cross the thresh hold
- All empty drum escapements are air operated devices.
- Free turning urethane wheels guide drums at transfer points
- Platforms are OSHA approved grating panels
- Catwalks are OSHA approved, safety tread panels
- Hand rails and toe guards are OSHA approved
- Crossover tread plates are mounted between rollers
Additional Equipment Available
- Automatic drum & pail fillers
- Palletized drum & pail fillers
- Quad fillers
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Drum dumpers
- Powered roller & belt conveyors
- Chain conveyors & transfers
- Turntables & Transfer cars
- Dry solids fillers
- Custom fume booths
- Custom handling equipment