Item No. 146
Conveyors for Unstable Loads
These multi-strand chain conveyors and transfers were custom made for a particular customer. The customer had an eight foot high load with a light payload that acted like a tower of Jell-O when conveyed. The customer’s problem increased when they tried to transfer the loads. Lost production, damaged products, safety hazards, and frustration resulted. Specialty Equipment was called in to solve the problem.
Specialty first designed a series of three strand chain conveyors with slow start, ramp-up/ramp-down drives. Then they designed an air operated two-strand jump transfer within a three strand chain conveyor. Ten chain transfers were eventually installed along with twenty-two transport chain conveyors. The results eliminated the customer’s problems and provided a payback within a matter of months.
Each conveyor had electric and pneumatic control of acceleration, deceleration, raising and lowering. The 90° transfer rate is three loads per minute at weights up to 2,000 lbs, far more than was necessary for the customer. This is one of many examples of custom made solutions to material handling problems designed and built by Specialty Equipment Corp, in conjunction with their customers.
Description of Operation
- At each transfer point, one of the chain conveyors is stationary.
- When a load enters the transfer, a signal is sent to raise the transfer
- Air bags inflate to lift the gently lift the load
- The conveyor starts in slow mode then ramps up speed
- Before transfer is complete, the chains ramp down the speed
- A signal is given to lower the transfer and allow another to enter
- The cycle repeats at very transfer point
- All chains are RC 60 riding on UHMW channel guides
- All drives have ramp-up/ramp-down speeds
- Driven & take-up sprockets are B-type, keyed and bored
- Dive shafts are 1.5″ diameter with key ways
- Frames are 7 gauge welded formed steel
- All air bags are heavy duty type
- Flow control valves determine inflation speed
- Tread plates are for walking over, not standing
Additional Equipment Available
- Heavy duty pallet dispenser
- Roller & belt conveyors
- Turntables & transfer cars
- Single drum & pail fillers
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Pallet dispensers
- Custom handling equipment