Item No. 110
Automatic Drum Orienting Filler
This machine is designed to fill containers without an operator present at the filling station. The system shown is a model ADO-5510, made for filling 15 to 55 gallon tight-head drums. A bung is resting on top of each drum. It is both a top-fill and a sub-surface filling machine. This filler is best applied when an operator is not wanted at the filling station for a variety of reasons, including safety and exposure to fumes. Five components make up the system; (1) an empty drum pusher device, (2) an automatic drum rotator, (3) an up/down tapered plug to lock-in the bung opening, (4) an automatic single drum filler, and (5) a twin strand chain conveyor. The ADO-5510 system requires bungs to be removed from empty drums before they enter the rotator station.
The system starts by indexing a container to the rotator station where the drum is lifted by skewed rollers. A pneumatic tire and a cradle of wheels capture and center the drum before rotation. A two strand chain conveyor transports the drum to and from the filling station. A scale platform rises and signals the start of the filling cycle. When filled, the drum is lowered and conveyed on the chains to a bung and capping station where it stops automatically. The bung station can be built further away from the filler, if necessary. The wig-wag diverter and two lanes of gravity roller accumulation conveyor after the bung station are optional equipment.
A sample concept drawing of an ADO-5510 straight-line filling system is shown below.
Specialty Equipment manufactures fillers and conveyors with structural steel stanchions, frames and supports welded together, making each section a one-piece superstructure, the most rugged standard in the industry.
Description of Operation
- The operational sequence applies to equipment up to and including the filler machine.
- Optional accumulation conveyor for empty drums is highly recommended to justify the automatic filler.
- Likewise, accumulation of full drums is also highly recommended, for the same reason
- The filler is a model ADO-5510, automatic drum orienting filler
- An air operated pusher device moves each container into the rotator station
- A group of skewed rollers lifts the drum off the infeed chain conveyor.
- A tire on one side and a cradle of wheels on the other, center and capture the drum
- The drum is then rotated automatically, in search of the bung opening
- When found, a tapered plug lowers and locks the drum into position
- The drum is lowered onto the chain conveyor then conveyed to the filler station
- The scale raises the container off the chains and signals to start the fill cycle.
- The controller will automatically zero the tare weight before the filling starts
- The filler can operate in three speed, slow/fast/shot, if needed
- If filling a foaming product, the system starts in slow mode
- When liquid reaches the tip of the lance, it shifts into fast mode.
- Near the top, the system shifts again to shot mode, to the top of the container
- The lance retracts automatically ending the fill cycle
- The scale lowers the container onto the twin strand chain conveyor
- The chain conveyor transports the load to the bung and capping station
- The next empty drum, waiting at the rotator station, automatically advances to the filler.
- Fills a 55 gallon drum with water in 45 seconds at 80 gallons per minute input
- This filler is a model ADO-5510 and will fill drums automatically
- It is both a subsurface and a top-filling machine
- Lance and all other wetted parts are 316 stainless steel
- Two infeed full-port ball valves prevent product hammering
- Air cylinder raises & lowers the lance carriage
- Scale is 1,000 lb capacity platform type
- Scale is mounted on an air operated lift/lower mechanism
- Air operated drip pan and UHMW wiper ring
- Controller is an Allen Bradley PLC with 250 product menu
- Touch screen is an Allen Bradley color PanelView
- RS-232 port for optional data acquisition and printer connection
- NTEP approved weight meter and load cells
- NEMA 4 standard enclosure, others optional
- Filler has three filling speeds; slow/fast/shot, if needed
- Automatic zero tare weight before filling starts
- Operator troubleshooting interface with prompts
- Filler won’t start without container present
- An 8′ long two-strand chain conveyor transport containers
- Automatic abort if lance is not aligned with bung opening
- Rugged, all-welded stanchion and lance carriage
- Fills a 55 gal drum in 45 seconds with water at 80 gallons per minute product flow input
- Additional conveyors
- Spare lance assembly
- Lance rack
- Lance flush adapter
- Kynar lance for corrosives
- Sanitary lance assembly
- Sampling valve
- Type X or Z purge
- NEMA 7 or 4X enclosures
- Nitrogen purging system
- Custom color and finishes
Additional Equipment Available
- Automatic pail filling systems
- Palletized drum & tote fillers
- Quad filling machines
- Stainless steel fillers
- Stainless steel conveyors
- Pallet conveyors & transfers
- Roller, chain & belt conveyors
- Pallet dispensers & collectors
- Custom handling equipment